Tuesday, February 24, 2015

My dad asked me today for a sentence. For one strung together mash of words that he could use when attending a PD day that is geared towards lgbtq students.
One sentence to pass along, to share with the group.
As a person who, more often than not, attempts to define myself by the impact I make and the words I create - I found myself struggling to come up with something. It would have to be short, but impacting. It would need to inspire and stoke a conversation right?
Here's my chance. Say something memorable. Say something important.
A few thoughts went through my head immediately.  Would he be saying 'my gay daughter had this to say' or just 'my daughter'
Am I truly defined by my sexual orientation? It's a part of me, yes. Of course. But how big a part? 
Would he have asked me for a sentence to bring to the group if the group had been discussing mental illness, or musical appreciation? How about crafty creativity? Writing?
Would any of these other attributes that shape and define the person I am be called upon in a similar situation?
I thought about how I must be perceived in the world. How my friends who aren't gay must see me. If they see my acts of love as acts of just someone who loves, or acts of someone who is gay, who loves.
Then I thought instantly about the last few people I fell in love with. About how loving them has defined me. How loving them created in me differences and improvements and changes and growth. How the very act of loving them was in and of itself an accomplishment. A battle fought and won.  How it's through my love, that I am defined.
Does it even matter that they were women? Does that actually matter anymore?
So I replied to my dad. Just say to them, that it's not who you love. It's how you love.
And it was right after I sent that text to him that I became so humbled and grateful for my ability to string together words. Because if there is anything I want you to remember about me when I am gone from this earth, it's that I loved you fiercely and loyally, with my whole heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment